Americans are creatures of trend. In other words, we see the glimpses of a new trend catching on and we all hop on board like so many teenagers running to a rock concert. Being in the coffee industry, we find it fascinating to look ahead at the trends that might be coming our way. Every year we see certain products come, other products go, and still other products taking everybody by surprise in one way or another.
So, what are the most popular varieties of coffee and tea for 2015? Let’s take a look. You might be surprised by what we found. We will start with tea as it is more easily defined than coffee.
Popular Tea Varieties
Tea drinkers are more apt to not only prefer certain varieties, but also to know exactly what those varieties are. Coffee drinkers think more in terms of brand name. In light of this, it is fairly easy to pick out the most popular tea varieties based on retail sales and consumer trends. We have listed the top five below, according to Eater.com:
- Pu’erh Tea –You may have never heard of this variety of tea if you do not consider yourself a connoisseur. Regardless, Pu’erh is a fermented tea that comes from China’s Yunnan province.
- Black Tea – The tried-and-true black tea remains as one of the most popular teas sold around the world. Black tea is widely available, inexpensive and capable of producing very bold flavor.
- Oolong Tea – A very well known tea that hails from Taiwan and China. It is known for its rich flavor brought out by steeping as many as 8 to 10 times.
- Green Tea – Those who love green tea swear by its health benefits. It remains popular in America despite declining sales elsewhere.
- White Tea – White tea is known for its gentle, delicate flavor and low oxidation. It requires very little processing between farm and market.
Popular Coffee Varieties
It is much harder to put our finger on popular coffee varieties because worldwide consumer preferences are not strictly measured. If you went to Ethiopia, for example, coffee drinkers could tell you details about each of the varieties grown in their country. Ask Americans about their favorite variety and they are likely to say something like Starbucks or Green Mountain.
What we can say is that standard, black coffee still dominates the market even though the hipster designer drinks are catching up. Among the strongest performers are lattes, cappuccinos, and Americano blend drinks. Iced coffee seems to have peaked, with sales now fairly flat.
Galaxie Coffee services the greater New York area with a full list of excellent coffees and teas. You can view all of our products here on our website. If you are currently being serviced by another coffee company, we would appreciate the opportunity to offer you a comparison. If not, can we have the honor of earning your business?